1 ½ times life size
In July 1846, as Mormon pioneers were preparing to move West from their temporary settlements in Iowa, 500 able-bodied men were needed by the U.S. Army battalion of infantry to pioneer a much needed supply route through the Southwest and support the U.S. Army of the West under the command of General Stephen W. Kearny during the war with Mexico.
Led by Colonel Philip St. George Cooke, this Battalion marched over 2,000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego, California, the longest and most arduous infantry march in U.S. Army history, forging a trail across harsh desert terrain that contributed significantly to the opening of the American Southwest.
This heroic size bronze sculpture depicts events that occurred on December 16, 1846 in Tucson, Arizona. The Mormon Battalion, avoiding hostilities with the outmanned Mexican garrison stationed there, entered the Presidio of Tucson, where Private Christopher Layton posted the American Flag, the first to be flown over what would later become the state of Arizona, and Captain Jefferson Hunt of the Battalion transacted business with the highly respected Tucson Presidio merchant Teodoro Ramirez.